Being issued with a full practising certificate
Certification provides public assurance that you have the qualifications, skills and character suitable for the teaching profession. Those employed in a teaching position in schools and kura are required by law to hold a current practising certificate or authorisation.
Steps toward full certification
Finding a teaching position
Once you have provisional certification you can start working as a teacher. When you are looking for work as a teacher you will need to apply directly to schools, kura or early childhood education services.
How to find work as a teacher in New Zealand
It’s important to ensure that the position you are to be appointed to will enable you to meet the requirements to be issued with a full practising certificate.
Your teaching position needs to:
- be in the general education system
- provide multiple opportunities to demonstrate and meet the Standards for the Teaching Profession
- be 0.5 full time teacher equivalent (FTTE) or more.
- your employment includes an established appraisal process against the Standards for the Teaching Profession
- your employer provides an induction and mentoring programme for beginning teachers – this must be based on the Guidelines for Induction and Mentoring and Mentor Teachers and Te Hāpai Ō – Kaupapa Māori based induction and mentoring for Māori-medium settings
- your induction and mentoring programme should help you to gather evidence to assist you in meeting the Standards for the Teaching Profesion
- any short term teaching completed in blocks of less than six weeks will not be considered towards the requirements for gaining full certification
- your employer supports ongoing professional development and learning for teachers with an established and transparent policy as to how this operates and how it is resourced
- provisional certification is limited to a maximum period of six years. You will need to meet the requirements to be issued with a full practising certificate within this timeframe or complete the Teacher Education Refresh (TER) programme to access a further provisional practising certificate.
Find out more about becoming certificated as a teacher