Publications & Reports
We send our newsletter, Matatū, once a month. You can read past issues on our news page.
The Education Council publishes discussion papers and think-pieces on a variety of education topics. Here you'll find our most recent work.
- Submission on SOP 250 - Seclusion and Restraint
- Education (Update) Amendment Bill
- Competence Authority (Update Bill)
- Improving Career Services (Update Bill)
- Clarifying the Role of Boards (Update Bill)
- Education and Learning Priorities (Update Bill)
- Flexibility in Enrolment For Early Years (Update Bill)
- Online Learning (COOL) (Update Bill)
- Establishing Enduring Objectives (Update Bill)
- Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Progress Report
- Summary Teacher Survey
- Discussion Paper: Leadership for Communities of Learning (PDF, 681KB)
- Five Key Think Pieces on Leadership
- Strategic Options for Developing Future Orientated Initial Teacher Education
- Summary Strategic Options for Developing Future Orientated Initial Teacher Education
The Education Council makes submissions to government on issues relating to the teaching profession and the wider education sector. Here you’ll find our submissions, including those from our predecessor, the Teachers Council.
- Submission on Tomorrow's Schools Review from the Board of the Education Council, 6 August 2018
- Submission on Micro-Credentials in New Zealand April 2018
- Submission on the Education (Protecting Teacher Title) Amendment Bill, 13 April 2018
- Submission on the Education (Teaching Council of Aotearoa) Amendment Bill, 29 March 2018
- Submission on review of Education Act 1989, final December 14, 2015
- Draft submission on the review of the Education Act 1989 - November 2015
- Submission on the Policing (Cost Recovery) Amendment Bill – February 2015
- Submission on the Education Amendment Bill (No 2) -- April 2014
- Submission on the Discussion Document - A 21st Century Body for the Education Profession -- July 2013
- Submission on the Inquiry into 21st Century learning environments and digital literacy – May 2012
- Response to the Green Paper titled "Every Child Thrives, Belongs, Achieves" – February 2012
The Education Council is committed to open and transparent governance. Here you'll find documents that highlight the work we do to support the quality of registered teachers and enhance outcomes for learners from our predecessor, the Teachers Council.
- Briefing to the Incoming Minister of Education (October 2017)
- Annual Report 2017 (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Annual Report 2015-2016 (PDF, 4.4MB)
- Strategic Plan
- Annual Report 2014-2015 (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Briefing to the Incoming Minister of Education (September 2014)
- Statement of Performance Expectations
Education Council Rules
The Education Council has published various Rules. View rules.